Tuesday, November 19, 2013

TNS-01106: Listener using listener name has already been started

Scenario:

DB version: 11.2.0.3.0

The following error was found on trying to start a newly created listener in a shared DB server with multiple Oracle Homes.

TNS-01106: Listener using listener name  has already been started

Verification:

From the error message it seem to happen because of a duplicate LISTENER name, but it was not the case to be. I tried to give different names to the listener but still was getting same error on listener start up

Solution:

A detailed analysis of the error helped me to find that it can happen if any other listener is already listening on one of the parameters in the ADDRESSes specified. In my case the port number I tried to give for the new listener was already in use. But since the error normally expected with a port number conflict is different (TNS-12542: TNS:address already in use), I was wasting my time concentrating on LISTENER name.

I changed the TCP port number in the listener.ora file and successfully started the listener.


2 comments: